Thursday, February 14, 2013

Have I Fallen Out of Love?

It's not uncommon to hear the words, "We fell out of love" at the end of a deteriorating relationship.  Hearing these words, I can't help but question, "Is it actually possible that someone can fall out of love?  How can love be something that you  fall into or out of???"  Wouldn't this imply that love is something done to you, not something you do?  

When I look at the simple instruction Jesus gave us in "love one another," I am reminded that love is indeed an action.  Not only is it an action, it is a command.  Jesus commands us to love.  Notice He didn't ask us to love each other if 'it felt good.'  No, His command was simply to love.  Period.  And, as with all commands, we have the choice to obey it or not.

I choose to love my husband, despite his shortcomings and failures (which, by the way, we all have... unless we're not human).  He chooses to love me, despite all of mine.  We call this loving "all" of each other.  I love "all of him" and he loves "all of me."  Though it's definitely not always easy, we have made this choice... And God continues to reward us in unexpected and completely irrational ways because of it.

It is our hope that with God's grace we can encourage other couples to do the same by sharing a little of what we've learned on our journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment